Thursday, November 19, 2009

Easy Peasy Gluten Free Vanilla

This is one of those "duh!" moments in my life. I have been hunting down and buying expensive gluten free vanilla for 6 years. I JUST found out how easy it is to make your own. Right in time for Christmas even.

So here ya'll go. GF vanilla extract recipe:

You need 3 things.

Vanilla beans:

I bought these online for $20. 12 of them from Madagascar. Supposedly superior to Mexican vanilla beans. Someone pointed out I could have bought them in town for cheaper. Too late. I'm just going to pretend I didn't hear that.

Vodka:

You can get potato vodka at the liquor store. Then it's gluten free. Maisie will be thrilled about this one day.

A mason jar with lid:

Look someone even started putting the beans in already! Cut the beans in half up the long way, leaving them attached at the top. They'll look like those long pine needles. Stick the cut beans in your jar. I used 7 even thought the recipe called for 6. I'm just like that.



Put the lid on. Stick the jar in the cupboard. Wait 6-8 weeks. Remember the jar when you are trying to cram groceries into your crowded pantry. Voila! Gluten free vanilla extract! I bought 6 little extract type jars to package my vanilla in for gifts. If you get one, act surprised.

No comments:

Post a Comment